View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #69
lbb
United_States
Re: My Own thoughts on Aikido

Quote:
Eugene Leslie wrote: View Post
That was a great post. I've been on this forum for a bit now and it's easily deduced by alot of your posts that you are an opponent to the thought of anything that would make Aikido anything but physical movements
"easily deduced", hmm? That brings to mind the saying, "It ain't what you don't know that will get you, it's what you know that just ain't so."

I'm not an "opponent" to any way of thinking. I just think that some are more useful than others for a person in a given situation. Part of it is just the old saying about crawling before you walk and walking before you run. Saying that a six-month-old child would be better off doing some crawling does not make one an opponent of running, but when a six-month-old child tries to run and it ends in tears, no one should be very surprised.

The other part is what David Henderson said above (thanks for that post, by the way, David -- it was really well put). You've heard the expression "empty your cup", and clearly you understand what it means, at least in the same sense that I've always understood it, of setting aside previous knowledge so that new knowledge can take hold -- but I think David is pointing to an even deeper "emptying of the cup", in which you set aside your very way of learning. This is very difficult for adults, who feel the urge to demonstrate competence (even as beginners), or at the very least to try to categorize and systematize what it is they're learning, in ways that have been successful for them in the past. But David's right, just as old facts can get in the way of new ones if you insist on holding on to them and trying to make them relevant to the new information, so can old ways of learning completely prevent the adoption of new ways that are better ways to learn the new stuff. And yes, it is a new way of learning, although I don't think I'm going to convince you of that.