View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Hormonal & Psychological Responses to Combat

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Eric, fascinating stuff. I'm curious if besides oxytocin there has been any research you've seen about possible role of PARAsympathetic system - the one that will lower pulse and BP, and presumably what is engaged in various learned/trained relaxation states ?
Oxytocin does lower blood pressure and pulse -- after an initial spike -- and seems to be synthesized in the heart as well (in rats anyway) -- hard to do cardiac bio-assay studies in live people

If this cardiac synthesis of oxytocin in situ is in humans as well (which cannot be very large in amount), but would be fast as it is a direct feed to the circulation -- and would kick start the oxytocin's positive feedback loop, the progressive effect on vessel walls would be FELT differentially -- and the source generally localized in the chest. I wonder if this sensation may be the reason for the worldwide tradition attributing the heart as the seat of emotion. This and other studies also show that the effect of injected oxytocin is more pronounced in cerebral ventricular injection showing that there is a strong CNS component to initiating its expression and thus likely more allied with parasympathetic processes.

Meditaition-wise-- I think the religious experience MRI studies have shown that strong meditation techniques break down some self/non-self perceptual barriers. That would seem to broaden the scope of presumptive "loved ones" -- those identified with oneself, rather than as Other. That implicates the presumed biological role of oxytocin in protecting close kin. The Buddhist experience of profound compassion and Christian estatics ( lit. ("standing outside" i.e -- of oneself) love certainly seem to fit as training modes for related things, less martially applicable, but yes even so.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.