View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #428
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Very Disturbing news about Clint George

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
According to the news stories the examining psychologist felt his likelihood of repeating was low (hence his status in the database as an unlikely repeat offender). However, that position strikes me at best as odd when you consider George reportedly met with the girl a number of times after his arrest in violation of court order.

But yeah, 20 year sentence, 15 suspended, 1 year served.
Keith:

Your observations and opinions are one's that I share. The examining psychologist spoke of some kind of profile for a pedophile. There simply is no good research that indicates a "profile" of a pedophile. Mental health professionals do not have any special predictive capacities. Simple fact is that the best predictor of future behavior is a pattern of past behaviors. The examining psychologist spoke of Mr. George as being "immature." As a fellow psychologist, I find that description lacking in multiple areas.

Based upon his history, I think that it is safe to say that he should not be around and/or communicate (any medium) with pre-teen girls and older without some responsible adult oversight. Prison time is not going to "cure" what ails him, nor will it help him become more "mature." The consequences of his actions have certainly caused well-deserved havoc in his life. For what ever the reason(s), the judge decided to give him essentially a slap on the wrist. The stigma of being a convicted child sex offender will follow him around for the rest of his life. The threat of finishing out his sentence is another incentive to fix his life. All and all, it is a sad chapter in the life of someone with a lot of promise in our world. Hopefully, all involved can experience some genuine healing from this horrible incident.

Marc Abrams