View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #73
Kenneth Bryan
Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan Dojo
United_States
Re: Martial Ineffectiveness

I think that you may have misinterperated (or I failed to explain properly) what I was trying to say. Most people training in a "martial" art would like to know if what they are doing would be helpful in life and death situation (either from recognizing and removing yourself from the danger to begin with or by being able to physically get out of said situation). To seek enlightenment alone one could go to church or take yoga. I must agree that if the quick fix of being able to "win" immediately is the goal that aikido does take too long to keep most with that intention around. My idea was not to kick anyone's butt but to avoid getting mine kicked (re reading my post it may have appeared that way). In the situations I have been in in my younger days, the goal was generally to LIVE when confronted with, lets just say, agressive individuals who really might want to do me harm.

What I was saying is that it is far easier to gain the "enlighenmet" if you understand what you are doing is viable. This statement illustrates that..

Quote:
Saotome Sensei, right from the very start, told us that if we were simply interested in self defense, we should buy a gun. That, coming from one of the most martially capable Aikido teachers I have ever seen
much easier for him to fully grasp that concept understanding that he is very martially capable. For me, only being a new shodan and only having trained since 2002, having many people senior to me and seeing how they present themselves and having many people junior to me and how they present themselves have noticed a direct corrilation between how "good" they are [for lack of better term] and how much they feel the martial viability isn't important. I have noticed this not just in aikido but in other arts as well which is where this statement came from....

Quote:
Most people with enough training an a given "fighting" style to be "effective" simply don't have the need to prove it others. The fact that they KNOW it for themselves seems to be good enough. It is generally those that haven't trained enough (or at all) that feel the need to prove how effective their fighting skills are.
I have no doubt that I haven't trained enough to have reached that point. I do know that the better I feel about my training (and its potential practical application) the less that application seems important. Wondering if I am the only one to see this corilation or feel this way.