View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #57
Eugene Leslie

Canada
Re: My Own thoughts on Aikido

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Hi

I am not quite sure what do you want to expess by writing this?
Is this a definition of terms or ...?

I will try to ak some questions:

First: The way you arrange the syllables, representing the kanji of aikido, is different from the way I arrange them when writing them in romanji.
I understand our practice or the art of Ueshiba Morihei as Aiki Do.
And again aiki can be understood in different ways.

Next: Do you understand "ai" as "love" or do you understand it the way the original kanji of aikido means?
How can we being westerner/christians ... adapt terms of harmony/blending ... which are based in a shintoistic/buddhistic worldview?

Further on: How do you understand "ki"? It depends on the style of aikido you practice: Do you deal with "ki" the way it is done in Shin shin toitsu do/aikido or do you undertand/practice it in other ways?
What is ki in your eyes?

Finally: What concept of "do" do you have? Do you understand it as "dao". And if so, how can you connect/relate this to your western worldview?

In my eyes ai ki do is not a definition, but a question.

Greetings,
Carsten
You seem very knowledgeable and I have read your post with a receptive heart. You bring up good points and they make me delve deeper and question things so I thank-you.
My view is not so deep and profound: I'm not writing a thesis.
I've been frustrated in trying to explain myself when "pressed" about my comment of joining Aikido for spiritual reasons.

I thought by just stating the name of the martial art I've recently become passionate about, I could explain and quell the barrage.

While we're on the subject I'll view this as an opportunity to learn and I will answer your questions best I can in the hopes of creating informative, friendly dialogue.

I know the definition of "kanji" and it's my understanding that not only can one kanji have multiple meanings but that they crossover into different oriental languages as well.

AI Harmony or blending. I think it's a bit presumptuous to peg me as a western christian (though you are correct) in this day and age of globalism and multi-culturalism.
As far as understanding the quiet, reflective, meditative world-view of Shintoism and Buddhism I think after all the warfare of our ancestors: your Teutonic Knight ancestors and my Anglo-Saxon forefathers (and I agree there wasn't much harmony); the world is finally realizing a modicum of understanding and peace to where we can understand these principles.

KI Spirit or energy. I won't even approach this one with a ten foot pole because this site isn't large enough for the arguement. Circulating life energy: anywhere from life-force to auras to midiclorians in the blood if you attend the church of Star Wars; but I have taken kung-fu (chi) and I have experienced the benefits of combining "it" with technique, thought and breathing; especially in "heavy" vs. "light" department. I've seen many demonstations of amazing feats so enough to say I believe and maybe if I train long enough and supplement with meditation I'll gain enough wisdom to descibe the definition of KI in my eyes. (Thanks for bringing Shin Shin Toitsu Do to my attention).

DO Path or Way. Not the "religion" of Daoism.

I'm practicing "rejecting" my "western" view and ego so I prefer not to connect or relate the two views of occidental and oriental; just self-discovery without the FEAR of governmental, religious and economic control

The following quote is from the Aikikai Foundation Website and it sums up what i've been trying to comment on from the get-go.

Sincerely; Gene...over and out.

"Since contemporary values stress respect for human life, Aikido is a highly relevant form of the Japanese martial arts. Aikido is popular not just in Japan but throughout the world because people accept and agree with the underlying philosophy of Aikido".

Self-discipline is the chief element of self-esteem; and self-esteem the chief element of courage. Thucydides