Thread: What is aiki?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: What is aiki?

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
Aiki can be discussed from several vantage points. What does it mean simply from the standpoint of technique? What does it mean from the larger cosmological standpoint? How is it commonly used by the Aikido community"?
I prefer to stick to the first technical aspect. Certainly one can use technical aiki for evil so the broader usages are obviated in this respect.

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
My own description of "aiki" from a technical standpoint is that this is the way we use the various sensory inputs to move the partner's mind so that he moves his body. Much of this involves connecting with the myofascial structures and the unconsciously processed nerve signals to the brain.".
Mind control ... simple as that? No, seriously this is very interesting and forces one to study carefully a great many disciplines. For example the whole concept of the unconcious is actually hotly debated in the psych field so this is not a settled concept. The purpose and function of the myofascia is also not settled and there is much basic research needed to bring clarity. The manner in which our 'mannerisms' influence those around us is fairly esoteric and I'm not sure if there is a specific field of study in this regard. I mean field of study with more 'cred' than say NLP.

The ability to organize ones body posture, intent, attention and mental state and project "it" into some one else in such a way as to actually exert control (on what ever level) makes the technical aspects of, say kote gaeshi, (which cannot be done on a chair) pale to insignificance.

Just being able to organize ones body posture, intent, attention and mental state gives one plenty to work on without the projection part. Just how seperable are there activities? The idea being that one can work on the organization part seperate from the projection part.

Some of the drills in 'power of the mind' and 'principles of entry' (many thanks to George Ledyard) are helpful but still there is much for one to figure out on their own.

Mostly I started this thread on a lark (no aiki in aikiwiki has gotta mean something). I've been working on this stuff for a decade and have more questions than answers - maybe I'm just slow.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.