Thread: Fear
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2000, 02:56 PM   #4
Russ
Dojo: Pacific Aikido Kensankai
Quote:
Originally posted by akiy
So, is it all just about realizing, facing, and conquering our fears?

-- Jun

Jun and all,

A quote from Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Fear is never an actuality; it is either before or after the active present. When there is fear in the active present, is it fear? It is there and there is no escape from it, no evasion possible. There, at that actual moment, there is total attention at the moment of danger; physical or psychological. When there is complete attention there is no fear. But the actual fact of inattention breeds fear; fear arises when there is an avoidance of the fact, a flight; then the very escape itself is fear."

For example; doing jujinage with a strong and stiff nage can be a fearsome experience. However there is no fear present in mid throw. If you look honestly you'll see the fear comes before or after the throw. So aikido practice can help us glimpse what it is to be here, now. (The loosing of the self in connection with partner is part of that too. There is no separation between me and you is there? Me and you are false concepts..., that's another thread perhaps.)

We must be careful as we become more skilled that we do not become inattentive again. Inspirational teachers and sempai are those that choose to pay attention in the moment despite the fact that thier skill affords them the pitfall/luxury or wandering.

So aikido, for me, is about seeing my true face and the challenge is not to escape from what I see.

Sincerely,

Russ