View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
Rob Watson
United_States
Re: Martial Ineffectiveness

Vietnam, Somalia, Lebanon - lots of folks with lots of guns and bombs etc .... martially effective? If one wishes to measure martial effectiveness one must first define martial effectiveness - easier said than done. In some situations simply standing up ends the encounter and restores calm and is therefor martially effective (the conflict is ended with no more harm).

Such a huge spectrum of application it is mind boggling. Read Clauswitz 'On War' (at one time THE war fighting book) then read the works of John Boyd (the new war fighting paradigm) and realize the problem is much bigger than at first glance.

Maybe war fighting (martial) is not really what one is interested in but law enforcement aspects of conflict and the use of arresting techniques, etc - not really martial arts at all.

Self defense for personal protection or how about executive protection or maybe bouncing ... so many different conflicting constraints that generalized solutions simply cannot fit.

While I would hazard to argue that principles of aikido can be applied in all realms of conflict shiho nage cannot. So the quick answer would be the principles of aikido can be applied to any martial situation effectively in theory but putting them into practice ... well that takes practice. Actual techniques of aikido (or any art) are only applicable in a fairly narrow spectrum of conflict.

General MacArthur can project his intent all he wants but it doesn't help to root out bunkers on Mt. Surabachi!

Shameless plug : George Ledyards 'Principles of Entry' is a must have - I learn something every time I watch even a few minutes of it.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.