View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #34
Buck
United_States
Re: Everybody Is An Instructorů.

I want to add, that "too many cooks spoil the soup." If you run a school class room you will have peer to peer learning. This is very effective.

But none of the students see themselves as the "teacher," they instead have a genuine interest in helping their peers. The communication between peers is on a level of sharing and receiving information, not instruct in the formal definition.

No student sees themselves as a "teacher." Their ego is not tied in with the title or position, or the importance of that title as pointed out in this thread.

Micro classroom-teaching, similar to micro management -as mentioned in the first post- is damaging to the students. It makes the student overly self-conscious and undermines self-confidence, but most of all retards the learning process. Teaching, therefore, doesn't happen.

But for some reason- I think it could be do to rank, hence ego, or something- students in many learning environments like an Aikido class fail to be and act like students as they would in a more traditional classroom environment.

I remember reading somewhere about something the author called kyu-shihans, I wish I could remember where I read it. From what I remember it was about how students who reach a certain kyu level think they know it all, and go around instructing others as if they are shihans. Here again is an issue of ego and how students lose perspective, and hamper their own progress. I would not doubt these students do become unsatisfied with Aikido. They become jaded, and/or not committed to Aikido or what it is about. And for those students who suffered from the kyu-shihan end of things are effected negatively becoming jaded, dissatisfied, and stopping practices.

It is a huge problem I think for many dojos to have these issues as illustrated in the first post and though out the thread. And it is almost unique to the martial arts in many places. What ever the solution is, it has to be at the individual dojo level. Therefore, a solution for this problem, aside from those already mentioned, might be strong leadership in the dojo.

Last edited by Buck : 01-01-2010 at 11:16 AM.