View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 16

Bending the discussion a bit back toward the original topic, one of the things I always look for in an information source is the level of functional "how-to", particularly in regard to internal strength parameters. Many books and websites talk *about* things in a superficial "here's my take on it" way, but rarely do the superficial sources give in-depth discussions of the mechanics.

As someone becomes more skilled they can spot who really knows how to do something and who is just maundering in the general area by dropping buzzwords, guesses, personal interpretations, and so on. One of the interesting things I found, as my own skills progressed (and that's not to say that I'm at any pinnacle) was that even though Kisshomaru Ueshiba was sparse in his descriptions, they're actually pretty accurate and reflect some knowledge of ki skills and how they work. Since he (K. Ueshiba) probably got most of his knowledge from his father, I'd posit that Morihei Ueshiba was teaching some degree of these skills, as opposed to the idea that 'for some reason Ueshiba didn't pass on these skills'. In other words, there's some good information to be had via traditional Aikido sources, despite some current perceptions that all the stuff about I.S. skills was hidden.

FWIW

Mike Sigman