View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Ellis Amdur
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 16

Hello Peter -

Ungraceful word choice on my part. What I meant to say was that Takeda embodied in the imagination of Japanese of the Taisho and early Showa a lost era - although, as I hope I pointed out, he was not, with his florid paranoia and dramatic demonstrations, replete with verbal abuse of his uke, actually typical of men of the period. He emerged from that period - but although rooted in it, was unique.
I do think you are right - Ueshiba, in the Showa period, embodied in people's imagination, in a similar manner, a man of a lost era - more of a "sennin" (mystic/warrior).
Sort of like Tom Mix and Roy Rogers were, in American minds, typical "cowboys."
Rather than getting overly distracted, however, about whether either emerged from a historical or imaginal era, I think your theme of father-son parallelism, between the Takedas and the Ueshiba's is the central issue.
BTW -
I just read Shiba Goro's REMEMBERING AIZU: The Testament of Shiba Goro, a memoir of Aizu after the defeat in the Boshin war. It is such a sad story, including an ethnic cleansing for several years, where many were moved to the north of Japan to an utterly desolate area where survival was almost impossible - many starved. Many of the men spent time in prison camps before being released. I wonder what happened to the Takeda family during that period. Is it possible that Takeda Sokaku was either separated from his family - all or in part - for a few years after the Boshin war, or if the whole family spent some years scrabbling among the rocks of that desolate landscape trying to survive. Who else died in his life during this period?

Ellis