View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Lightbulb Re: Cure for bad knees??

Work with a good physical therapist or very skilled personal trainer to diagnose what's actually going on with your knees, and give you an idea of what can be done.

I find that mine just kill me about 2 hours after class, when my quads start to tighten up, and pull my kneecaps out of whack. Warming up and stretching fixes that. I figured it out when I did a retreat out in nature, so there was no sitting in seiza - just standing. By then end of day 2 I could hardly walk, my knees hurt so bad. It took me a while to figure out the problem was that I hadn't really stretched my quads much the whole time. Very painful, but easy to avoid/fix. I never realized the value of sitting at the edge of the mat every so often during the course of a class!

On the other hand, I have a tiny pain in my right knee sometimes, and that's a miniscus issue. Whole 'nother can of worms.

So the first thing to do is to figure out what's really wrong. Then you can learn what to do about it. A good physical therapist can be a lifesaver.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My AikiBlog

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba