View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Ogawa Tada - aiki techniques& training methods of Kodo Horikawa

I am always fascinated by arguments that insist that rules are too restrictive for reality-based training, but simply ignore the fact that they actually just prefer different rule-sets for training. What they also ignore is that budo is as much or more about crafting rulesets for engagement that are superior in their impositions of effective discipline than those of the enemy.

The mark of effective training in not in the degree of lack of restraint in the training method. Boxing disallows biting, headbutting and hitting below the belt; even the vaunted MMA also disallows the great and venerable brawling traditions of eye-gouging, fishhooking, groin strikes, rabbit punches and trachea-breaking -- but no one ever doubts those are effective -- as war-fighting goes.

In the Roman sense of "disciplina," unrestrained brawling is simply not good training for war-fighting -- which is what budo really is. I suppose the legions were panty-waist because they did incessant "dancing" shield drills and beat up posts with a wooden rudus, as well?

Training with closely measured constraints creates the weapon of dsicipline -- and nothing else can. I am not saying that any trianing mehtod is necessarily better because it is more limited, but observing strict limits has uses. Aiki strikes me as something that is ideally in between, and can go either way.

The mark of good war-fighting is precision, dispassion and close-order in a highly chaotic environment -- and that is not enhanced by upping the default "chaos" level of the allowed responses. To the contrary, constraining allowable response to closely tailored bounds means that the chaos (when it comes, as it always comes) is far more like to remain effective than not.

If you do not believe this -- then you would just have fights, no notice, no rules, no disallowed weapons.

And also -- no budo ...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.