View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Maarten De Queecker
Dojo: Aikikai Gent, Brugse Aikido Vereniging
Belgium
Re: Pretty disappointed in myself, looking to fix that.

Quote:
Blas Villalonga wrote: View Post
Hey people, first time posting.

Been reading the forums for a little bit, and I thought I'd join to get something off my chest.

I'm 30 years old, and I've been wanting to try Aikido for a very long time. I did about 6 years of Wushu and some 3 years of boxing back in Mexico, and I did some Kyokushin here in Vancouver, but I really haven't done anything for a few months. I'm a very peaceful person by nature, and the more I read about Aikido, the more I wanted to get into it. I found a good dojo, and I tried one class, and while it was great, I didn't feel I worked a good sweat. Thing is, I'm probably about 10 kilograms overweight, and a bit out of shape, and I really want to fix that.

Because I couldn't get *that* workout there, I went and joined Krav Maga. It's a good fighting art for sure, and it did give me a good workout, but it's too aggressive. I know that's the point, but it didn't feel like the thing I was looking to do. I quit after one month.

I've been reading some of O-Sensei's writings and a great Aikido book that I bought (The Dynamic Sphere), and getting to know more about the origins, principles and teachings of Aikido has been truly eye-opening. This is what I should have been doing, and I should have kept training there. I can't blame my extra weight on a supposedly "soft" training. For that, I should eat better and go jogging.

I should have been smarter and I should have known what Aikido was offering me, and I should have known that Aikido is not just some workout, or effective self defense techniques, but a way to improve myself physically and mentally.

I really regret not having started that time, and I am so looking forward to re-start my training in January, and this time stick to it.

I don't mean to sound pretentious, and I certainly don't expect people in here to pay a lot of attention to this, but I felt an Aikido community forum was probably the best place to post this, and I did feel I needed to get this out, so I apologize if this is too much for a first post.

Soon I'll be talking to all of you about my experiences in training, and how hard it will be, and I can't wait for that.

Thanks!
Aikido can be quite the workout, if you choose it to be, physically as well as mentally.

Anyway, good luck with it. Aikido was the same kind of revelation to me two years ago as it is to you now, apparently. The moment I saw a few videos and read some information about it, I immediately knew that this was what I had always been looking for. Two years later I'm still as passioned as I was when I started out, mainly because there is so much to learn and the people are generally very nice. Aikido is really a community: most dojo's will welcome you with open arms if you want to train with them.