View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States
Re: Pretty disappointed in myself, looking to fix that.

Hi Blas!!!

I am getting ready to head to the dojo for the night but reading this made me need to take a moment to respond to you.

Not all dojos are the same. I've been told that mine is more "hard" than others and we really do work up a sweat in there. Even so, it cannot take the place of regular athletic activity. Sure, it's an extra calorie burn in the week but some of the things that you need to stay safe aren't addressed enough. You can learn to fall perfectly, but if your core isn't in shape, you're more likely to have issues. I had to find out the hard way that though I am "semi" in shape and have a background in cyclocross and running, my core just wasn't strong enough and I got an injury. It would still be helpful to you to add in some cardio and strength training (especially core) to your Aikido routine.

Welcome to Aikido and I hope you get out of if what you want- spend some time on the board and you'll see that everyone has their own Aikido angle (wink). Still at the end of the day, I think people try to be nice and supportive.

Good luck with your training! =D

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~