View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Blas
Dojo: Vancouver
Canada
Pretty disappointed in myself, looking to fix that.

Hey people, first time posting.

Been reading the forums for a little bit, and I thought I'd join to get something off my chest.

I'm 30 years old, and I've been wanting to try Aikido for a very long time. I did about 6 years of Wushu and some 3 years of boxing back in Mexico, and I did some Kyokushin here in Vancouver, but I really haven't done anything for a few months. I'm a very peaceful person by nature, and the more I read about Aikido, the more I wanted to get into it. I found a good dojo, and I tried one class, and while it was great, I didn't feel I worked a good sweat. Thing is, I'm probably about 10 kilograms overweight, and a bit out of shape, and I really want to fix that.

Because I couldn't get *that* workout there, I went and joined Krav Maga. It's a good fighting art for sure, and it did give me a good workout, but it's too aggressive. I know that's the point, but it didn't feel like the thing I was looking to do. I quit after one month.

I've been reading some of O-Sensei's writings and a great Aikido book that I bought (The Dynamic Sphere), and getting to know more about the origins, principles and teachings of Aikido has been truly eye-opening. This is what I should have been doing, and I should have kept training there. I can't blame my extra weight on a supposedly "soft" training. For that, I should eat better and go jogging.

I should have been smarter and I should have known what Aikido was offering me, and I should have known that Aikido is not just some workout, or effective self defense techniques, but a way to improve myself physically and mentally.

I really regret not having started that time, and I am so looking forward to re-start my training in January, and this time stick to it.

I don't mean to sound pretentious, and I certainly don't expect people in here to pay a lot of attention to this, but I felt an Aikido community forum was probably the best place to post this, and I did feel I needed to get this out, so I apologize if this is too much for a first post.

Soon I'll be talking to all of you about my experiences in training, and how hard it will be, and I can't wait for that.

Thanks!