View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #296
"Been there...done that"
IP Hash: a5e4cb60
Anonymous User
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Ok, let's not admit them in our dojo. Then she will be the only woman. Period. How the heck is her training not affected then??

You are not asking for Sensei not to admit them because of religious beliefs, but because you dislike them. And that's it. Next thing will be not to admit ugly people. Or handicapped people. How will training with a wheelchair guy affect your training? Not meaning disrespect here but... what are the chances a wheelchair handicapped people try to rape you in the lockers?

With all due respect, your basis for rejecting their admitance is hate.
Why can't you see throught your PC blinders. After Fort Hood, I'd think you would. Hate? Are you kidding me? Get over yourself. And, get over yourself, NOW. This is not hate. It's common sense. You'd rather be the "nice person and not offend" the religious person but in effect you end up discriminating against the women in your dojo. Think about it. Think about the double standard here. A woman's right to train in a pluralistic dojo is being adversely affected and you'd rather discriminate against here than someone who has unreasonable expectations.

Since we are talking about lack of accomodation, read through the previous postings by some of the folks who live in Islamic countries. They do NOT accomodate those who want mixed training, one of the previous postes even said that. But that's okay?

Our dojo admits people regardless of their religion. And our dojo accomodates as much as it can. To that extent I agree. Look at my first post. If they have a problemm with bowing - it DOES NOT AFFECT my training, so I don't care if they don't bow.

But I'm saying that we should only accomodate to the extent that it does not effect other people's training. We do have Muslims in our dojo who train with women and bow. They are NOT being excluded because of their religion.

It is a more radical interpretation of Sharia Law for men to not touch women. They consider it "shirk" and they have to cleanse themselves if they do touch a woman. It comes from the Whahabbist's interpretation of Islam and these stronger more fundamental beliefs are becoming more prevelant in Islamic society, even in the United States.

Quote:
It all depends on the charter of the organization and if it was approved by the government as such. You cannot discriminate period.

The best case example is Boy Scouts of America...a 501c. The Supreme Court upheld there ability to refuse membership to homosexual and atheist individuals based on their organizational values. They can also exclude females membership as a "Boy Scout" or "Cub Scout".

They cannot, however, exclude anyone based on religion, creed, or ethnic basis.
Then it would not be discrimination, if the charter of a dojo is that, all persons regardless of religion, creed or ethnicity are welcome to train in the dojo and all persons are expected to train together because of the nature of the art. It's only discrimination if you don't accomodate the person with religious restrictions. BUT those accomodations must be REASONABLE. The determination of what is resonable is whether it will cause an undue burden or adverse effect on the people involved. My is argument that ANY woman's training will be adversely affected if the accomodation against touch is allowed. You can't discriminate based on gender either, women are a protected class, too.

There was a case a few years ago about former Buddhist not wanting their children to bow to the shomen during Judo tournaments. The courts ruled that because bowing is part of the expectation of participating in Judo which is a Japanese martial art. The court ruled for the Judo Association that all person are expected and should bow at their tournaments.