View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #28
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: internal strength demo...

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I prefer to sit back and read right now, maybe ask a clarifying question every now and then, but I am learning alot through the discourse so thanks alot!
Hi Kevin:

I prefer to keep the conversations focused on facts and how-to's. Instead of discussing personalities and things we've heard about people (don't we all have a lot of things we've heard about people that we could talk about if that was a compulsion we couldn't control?), I suggest that everyone would be better of asking more specific 'how-to' questions. But I've said that for years.

IMO I don't think anyone gets very far with these skills if don't constantly think and ask questions. Ueshiba and a number of others have all remarked how many years and how much thinking and practice it takes to do these skills. No one can fully figure things out for themselves.

As a side comment, I'd also note that it's important to be able to use these skills in a demonstrable way, but the idea that someone can prove their worth with some limited sparring, "rolling", "push hands", etc., is a proven dead end with a lot of potentially misleading directions. Unless, of course, the person making the noise about proving their qi/jin/kokyu/ki skills is the world's most unbeatable fighter. Once you tie these skills to proving it by who beats whom in sparring, rolling, push-hands, etc., you begin to make it a "my skills are correct because I kicked Joe Blow's butt" sort of conversation. The Chinese have dealt with those kinds of brags for centuries and they usually boil it back down to the "if you're the world's best unbeaten fighter, cool..... what big names have you won against?". It also boils down to "I could beat Ueshiba when he was 85 so therefore my knowledge/skills are better than his were." I recently saw that inference and I give it short shrift. The knowledge is what it is and is demonstrable. The levels of practical application are a different subject, unless, of course no one in the world can beat you.

The way around all the noise? Ask pertinent questions, try to state how-to-facts, and be ready to defend factually any assertions you make. Of course many attempts to answer via personal attack are going to happen on a lot of the chat forums, but isn't it a given that the statistical majority of most people in martial arts are not really serious? It's to be expected. The idea is to talk around it.

FWIW

Mike Sigman