View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #24
MikeLogan

United_States
Re: The Martial Art of Difficult Conversations

excellent thread. Even if the original sitch may have been semi artificial, it still offers something to ponder. A person attacked does not have to consider their opponent. It's my impression that an aikidoka prefers to consider the opponent as though they were not opponents. The linked article shows how the writer joined the side of the opponent, and so there was no longer an opponent. harmony, right?

It is good to see your passion, Mark. I'm having a tough time with an elderly neighbor who is angry about the fallen branches I put in a pile on the property line. All of them fall from his sycamore, but I've volunteered to remove them. It is sad in a way, because he has put a lot into the region over the course of his life, and a lot of things have changed in the last 50-60 years since his prime. We were the good neighbors, but it seems even we are falling from the grace of his perspective. I'll still shovel his driveway in the winter, though. Good neighbors sometimes make concessions for the temporary insanity of their own good neighbors.

If way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst.

- Thomas Hardy