View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #22
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: The Martial Art of Difficult Conversations

Yes, I think we are talking past each other...I see your point concerning tactical vice strategic.

I think that good, repetitive training reduces the D (Decide), or as you say it drops out. Kata that follows proper form is a big part of this process of reducing responses to "instinct".

Of course, there is alot more to this than Kata. Which is why OODA is such a good model I think for discussing (Even though it will give you a head ache!).

So, I think that one form of practice (kata or controlled waza) allows us to practice in a very contrived way in order to develop appropriate responses. As discussed already in order to force good responses and habits we tend to practice linear through OODA. At one level this reduces the D from the conscious to the spontaneous/habit level.

On another level, we need to also practice upsetting this linear practice, by forcing our opponents into situation where they cannot process OO very well and are being bombarded or overwhelmed so they can learn to figure out how to turn the tables in the heat of the fight.

Randori Waza is supposed to do this, however, I think it is typically not developed properly or skillfully very well in most dojo experiences.

Randori in the sense of Boyd's process is not "Free", but is practiced with alot of constraints, controls to force, challenge, and stress the "testee" into a ODA loop..seeing how they can deal with the stimulus presented.

Done correctly, the "testee" should be able to come out of the situation understanding the gaps in their training so they can then concentrate on what those things are, fix them, and then progress, returning to the situational training again with a better handle on this set of skills.

Interesting conversation! I appreciate it.

However, I think we went way off.

My only point was that this article was good example of a skillful way to handle conflict.

I just wanted to caveat that it is linear essentially WRT OODA. that you have time and can afford to take more risk in verbal conflict, which allows you a greater window to process information and spend more time on the OO side, which, of course, allows you to make better and more skillful decisions.

However, when physical violence is presented, your OO window and margin for error is much greater, and you can't afford to have all information available and therefore you have to drop off on the OO side and enter DA...or as you put it Erick...O-A, with the D being a "little D" if possible when you reduce training to habits.