View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
osaya

Australia
Re: Pain and control in Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
I used to take aikijitsu... my dojo used a lot of pressure points (a couple of my teachers fav's was one by the elbow and one near the kidney)... If you are doing a elbow lock and a pressure point (in preperation to throw for instance) it wasn't uncommon for uke to make a face and raise up on their tippy toes.
Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Ashley hit it already. Pressure points. Also, just the positioning of the bones or ligiments in the right way/angle creates the pain. You want to get on your tippy toes to try and avoid the realigning of the bones or ligiments to take away the pain.
Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Here's a vid of Okamoto of Roppokai Daito ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQyNODVDlOc

Starting at 0:17 and specifically at 0:27-0:30, could you tell me where the pressure points are that Okamoto is using?
Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess in some instances, I can imagine tori using pressure points, but there are some techniques, such as the one that Mark pointed out, that there's no [seemingly] visible way to activate a pressure point.

see Nishikedo Takeo 0:44-0:50 as well for instance. any thoughts there?

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
While I've never trained with Okamoto, I highly doubt that he is simply using pressure points to affect his students. I'd believe more along the lines that Okamoto was using Daito ryu aiki.
Mark, could you elaborate on what you mean by "Daito ryu aiki"?

----

Even if we get past the pressure points, joint locks etc., what about the 'stunned' look that ukes tend to give after some techniques? What's happening there? Are they just resting after so much pain or is still an intentional martial after-effect of whatever is happening?

For instance:

1) Ogawa Tadao: Aiki no Waza - you can see some of this throughout the video, but it is especially prominent in the group attacks from more or less 8 minutes onwards, where the ukes all looked stunned for a few seconds with no apparent locks in some of them.

2) Nishikedo Takeo especially 5:10-5:30 amongst the other bits.