View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Tested.. passed... on to the next one.

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
No, no, no, no!!! Don't go on to the next test. Go back and review the test you just past. Now that the pressure is off, really evaluate the techniques just past. Did you do them right? Did you mess up on one during the test? How can you improve them? Etc.... Don't be in such a rush to move forward. Move back for a while before you start to move forward. This is one of the biggest problems that people have in learning this art. Always in such a hurry to get to the next rank.
Congrats on passing though!
Good advice thank you. Of course I am reviewing over and over in my mind all the parts of the test and how I could improve on them. In fact right after testing we went into second class and worked on things that sensei saw we needed to improve on. Of course I will continue to work to improve on the techniques form this test. LOL a lot of them are actually on 5th kyu but with a different attack. And I know my teachers will have me working to continue to improve on them as well.

I promise you I am in no hurry to get to the next rank. This is a lifetime study for me there is no rush to get to a destination that, for me, really does not exist.

Boy though I'm still pretty beat mentally and physically. Tonight's class I just really had trouble really focusing on much of anything. I was at such high intensity for a while I think I just need to relax and train for the fun of it and not be looking towards a goal again, for a little while anyway.