View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Why do we use so much grappling in Aikido?

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
Kevin,

I think he meant as in Aikido-Grappling as opposed to Extra Curricular Grappling like you're doing with BJJ...

Which funnily enough, I'm trying to persuade my missus to try out since she's flipped the coin on Aikido going from total devotion to total hatred.

Anyway, I'm planning to take BJJ next year hopefully... but there's too many things going on at once right now with my struggles to learn aiki from a sensei living in another country, Kali, Silat and life...
So here's hoping.

Btw, Leo Vieira was here to do a 2 day BJJ seminar recently. My friends all commented that this guy grapples very softly very aiki like even against MMA level competitors. This I like. Unfortunately his seminar fees can bust my piggy bank with my upcoming Indonesian trip this weekend so I gave it a miss.
Leo is a awesome guy a real gentleman! I used to train with his instructor Jacare some and Jacare introduced me to him at the European BJJ Championships in 2008 in Lisbon.

Is there any other way really? (soft).

What you will find in BJJ is that at first you are overwhelmed with the difference in movements...much like you were in aikido.

The tendency is to use fast and strong movements. You will even have alot of success against white/blue belts, but as you progress, this is not the case at the upper purple/brown/black belt level as every strong proprioceptive movement is picked up well before you move so you have to learn how to relax, control center, breath and move in a very effiicient and precise way.

I am personally working very hard and slowing this way down and being very soft and very gentle..it is hard because you have to invest very heavily in failure and it is very tempting to go back to strength and speed.

Nah, my grappling is not so extra curriclular these days and I really make no distinction in the randori or waza practice as to me, it is all the same...the goal is that there is no difference about your application or movement in Aikido or BJJ...it is all the same.

Last edited by Kevin Leavitt : 10-28-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling.