Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #92
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo
United_States
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Good times ahead for you eh?
Yeah, good enough that insanity may mean going for two!! (someone can slap me at any time, really)

Quote:
Maybe I didn't state my points well.
1. I don't think anyone of the "experts" I have read, seen on film, or met (on the Japanese side of things) *qualifies* as an authority on IP/ aiki. They're simply not good enough. So reading "recommendations" about others from any of the "amateurs" being currently "looked up to" is simply hilarious to me. I include myself here, and its why I refuse to make suggestions other than to get out and feel and test everyone.
2. Of course each guy is going to vett certain people according to his own past experience and after feeling "so and so." Of course!! It's what we have always done, it's all we can do. But it doesn't make them an authority, either. I think we should just let it be what it is; a vetting process and...THE HONEST SEARCH AND SHARING, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN.
Absolutely, I think I was onboard with what you were saying before, but I definitely cannot argue with what's written above. And it's very telling that some folks that have been "vetted" here on Aikiweb point farther up the pyramid to others as examples of "big dogs" to get their hands on. I think the kind of exposure you get access to is going to come down to who you're connected with, how you get introduced to someone, how you filter what they show you, how you move forward with progressing and doing the work, then how you represent yourself publicly and in person - just like it's always likely been to some degree or another.

Quote:
That way no one is constantly trying to one-up someone else, no one is getting information than lying about the source; it's just straight talk and straight training.
Defo works for me *nods*.

Quote:
I meant opting out on giving instructions on the net. I am supporting teachers on a weekly basis, and next month I am teaching another national "Teachers only" seminar for a Karate style. I am not opposed to helping, but in person it's just more honest and straight.
Cheers
Dan
Hell yes in person is more honest and straight. I circle back to a point I've made repeatedly over the last couple of years. The best thing about the internet with regards to martial arts forums has been to spread more information to give pointers about who and what kinds of people you want to try to hook up with in person. I still believe that. But my comment about there being a debt to you - even for folks that haven't met you but were inspired to go figure things out for themselves . . still stands for sure.