View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
Lorel Latorilla
Japan
Re: Sumo What Can It Teach Us?

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
No one is saying that. You brought that up. Here is what I said, "Sumo can teach us, that proper body alignment (support your local chiropractor ) is essential to Aikidoka's. Don't believe me? Watch films of O'Sensei when he was young and when he was old. Look at his hips and small of his back, note what they do and what they don't do. Then do the opposite in the dojo at your next practice. You should find the importance of proper position has to do with getting that connection and controlling that center in your Aikido technique."

I am talking about body alignment. I am asking to look at his hips and make an observation. Then I suggest to take your observations and test it the dojo and see what the results are. I suggest that what a person find is the importance of proper body position in controling the center mass of the body. That is a very fundemental concept in Aikido and many Japanese martial arts to move from your hara, where you power comes from. If you want that to work at a optimum level proper body position/alignment helps. Find that is up to you, and it is done via practice.

As I said before, I don't claim expertise or have the answers. That is up to each individual to find their own answers, and conclusions. I have shared mine.

My POV is a method of personal discovery and sharing information and that is what interests me. That is the beauty of a form, and in IMO the main reason and only reason for a forum like this.

Look at Sumo and see what you can find!
" you are going to move someone with the great result, it is the pelvis you want to move. Where the pelvis goes so does the body. This is a very fundamental and well known concept in Aikido. Though, Aikido applies it differently under different circumstances, and sometimes isn't readily seen as being the same idea in Sumo."

I never said that Buck. You did.

"I suggest that what a person find is the importance of proper body position in controling the center mass of the body. That is a very fundemental concept in Aikido and many Japanese martial arts to move from your hara, where you power comes from. "

What is "proper body position" and how doesit help "control" the "center mass of the body"? Also, how do you move from the "hara" and how does power come from it?

"As I said before, I don't claim expertise or have the answers. That is up to each individual to find their own answers, and conclusions. I have shared mine. "

It seems like you are claiming so. You are asserting in a definitive manner (e.g., "here is what sumo teaches us..."). But let's say you are just backpeddling now and reverting to your opinion--even then, what you say doesn't really make any clear sense, nor does it help any of us here how to make the observation of the similarities between sumo and Aikido applicable to our training. Why are you interested in sharing, is it because you want to help us in our own personal martial arts journeys? If you are then, you would take the time to answer my questions and unpack some of the terms and phrases you chose to wrote in the OP and in the successive posts.

Sharing information is supposed to help the audience whom you wish to share with; it does not suggest you stand up on a podium and talk about about unclear things. This kind of fluffy, poetical pontificating is intellectual masturbation that martial artists are not interested in.

I want to know whether you are intellectually masturbating, or whether you genuinely want to help out the aiki community with your personal discoveries. If you want to do the latter, please explain at depth some of the terms I asked you to shed light on before.

"My POV is a method of personal discovery and sharing information and that is what interests me."

This doesn't make sense. A point of view is not a method, much less one of personal discovery and sharing information. What are you trying to say here?

"That is the beauty of a form, and in IMO the main reason and only reason for a forum like this. "

How does sharing your opinions have anything to do with a "form"? Also, what "form" are you talking about? And what is the main reason and the only reason for a forum like this? The beauty of the form is the main and only reason for a forum like this? Or sharing your unclear observations/opinions without it being analyzed in depth is perhaps the main and only reason?