View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #63
eyrie

Australia
Re: Internal Power Development Methods

Quote:
Ashe Higgs wrote: View Post
I'm not here to "teach" anybody, but I am here to share how we train, and to learn a little about how you guys approach your training.
Not speaking to you directly Ashe, but generally to the good folk listening in - that is the whole point of my starting this thread. As Rob said, it's about looking for common ground.

Quote:
Let's be honest, all of us have made our commitments to the systems that we feel work for us, so I'm not here to convert anybody, but at the same time I hope that some folks will be interested enough to dig a little deeper and find out where some of the things I'm talking about fit in.
Again, I'm not speaking to you directly, but, people, that is the whole point of this thread, and I'm glad you picked up on it.

Quote:
But REALLY learning how to unify yourself with the opponent, in such a way that you learn to manifest offense/defense simultaneously on the point is something else altogether.
IOW... Aiki!

Quote:
how many different ways do you need to say the sky is blue?
Yes, but to a visually impaired person, what is sky and what is blue?

Speaking generally again, Rob's hypothetical is a good example because it is demonstrates the basic concept of "unifying" one's self with another... and is the first thing shown/taught in Aikido. Most Aikido folk would/should recognize this as a standing variation of kokyu-ho.

Last edited by eyrie : 10-23-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Ignatius