View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Kevin Karr
United_States
Re: Is it wrong if my purpose in aikido is to be strong?

If you engage in regular (at least 3 times per week), vigorous training (weapons and empty hand) you will become strong(er) physically. That is a natural byproduct of physical exercise. This is a good thing. Many of the big names of Aikido started training as young men because they wanted to be strong physically. I know this is one reason I train. If you train hard, you will get strong. If you don't, you won't. So I say, go for it!

I believe this is a very important part of Aikido. The training makes you strong thereby helping to develop martial spirit which is an energy source that can be used in many ways in one's life. I wholeheartedly believe that it is this "martial spirit" (amongst other things) that makes the difference between Aikido that "works" and Aikido that does not.

It is my educated guess that when O'Sensei said the *main* goal of Aikido is not to be physically strong, I can understand that. The main goal of Aikido is about finding the truth and becoming an "avatar of the kami," so to speak. To do this, one must engage their mind *and* body so that they may become the whole embodiment of a real human being: relaxed, natural, confident, and in control; with no artificial pretense or affectation.