View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Voitokas

United_States
Re: The metaphor of fascia?

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
In terms of Aikido, ideally, I would love to talk to a Aikidoka scientist or doctor who has studied fascia in relation to Aikido.
I don't think that that's really possible, unfortunately. Having taken Aikiweb's offline-time to review the peer-reviewed research literature that's out there, the experiments that have been done are either histological ("hey, let's dissect out some fascia and see what's tissue types we can find!") or mechanical ("let's exert force on these two ends and measure the stress forces and strength of the material"). How fascia might work in terms of performance is then posited theoretically: some very sound ("since histologically we find afferent sensory innervation, then it is a good bet that fascia is involved in proprioception"; "since fascia-invested muscle is this much stronger than muscle with damaged fascia, and since the math is valid, I bet that fascia with an increased tonus might increase strength output"), and some a little sketchier ("since fascia that has been diseased or damaged is capable of producing clumps of cells differentiated to smooth muscle instead of fibroblasts, maybe fascia can act like a muscle")...

Unless a few dozen high-level martial artists want to donate their bodies to science posthumously, or we can train transgenic super-fascia'd mice in aikido, I don't see any way that research can be done. So maybe in some sense it is a metaphor, like many of our less-understandable best-guess scientific paradigms are metaphors (gravity comes to mind, but I guess that even when I talk about light as a wave, I'm using the term a little metaphorically). But it's sort of necessary to have a name for things, and 'fascia' seems a good one, since it's not a bad guess and is sort of easy to visualise...

I am not an expert