View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #26
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Test Passing Standards - What is it?

Quote:
George Howard wrote: View Post
I agree with Tarik (that the person grading's reputation is at stake when awarding grades)
I don't think that's exactly what I said, although I guess that can also be inferred and is an important point. I was referring more to students who question or doubt their promotions.

Quote:
In my opinion, footwork is key in aikido, so if footwork is lacking/non-existent, then the technique is inadequate; seeing these people grading who have inadequate footwork is galling to me - it's a poor reflection on a great aikidoka that such people are graded. If you aren't able to perform the footwork, or suwari-waza due to bad knees, or not being limber enough, or whatever, then you aren't adequate enough to progress through gradings, simple as that - that's the point of a grading (in my opinion): there are certain things in aikido which, if you can perform, you are awarded a grade to 'prove'.
I agree and would add that posture is just as important as footwork. However, I don't see suwari-waza as absolutely necessary for learning how to become skillful (except when training with my 4'10" students). Of course, that could be my body speaking, which always hates me after I do some.

Quote:
Also: my first post, so hello to everyone.
Hello, George, and welcome to aikiweb.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."