View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Overall I agree, but I also think that we tend to focus on the "ten thousand cuts" mentality a little too much.

Sure, that is a way to mastery and we must do this to a certain extent, but that in its self is not necessarily an "end to a means".

Romantic notions abound about Shugyo and "eating bitter" etc. that somehow if I train in the snow with no shoes on, or punch trees, or go to class over and over that transmission will eventually happen.

It may or may not. We may be doing the wrong things, or it just may not be in the cards for us.

I have also experienced guys that simply come to the table with no work at all or have figured out some efficiencies in train that allow this to happen much faster!

I think this is also important to realize.

What I like about Mike Sigman's approach is that he did not the "have faith, do what I say approach". We went out and critically engaged, asked why? challenged.

He also put in the hours of hard work once he found out the things that worked too.

I do think there is a distinct difference in the process though that needs to be considered past the "ten thousand cuts".

We should not be so quick to accept this as the only way to mastery as I don't believe it is the primary path.

I think that teachers who offer this up front have more to gain than you do by saying this. Either they don't have the skill to actually tell you want to do in "one thousand cuts" vice "10 thousand" so it gets them off the hook. Two, they need you to keep faith and keep coming back for more to pay the bills.

Not saying that everyone says this, but I think it happens more often than not.

The important thing we need to ask them is WHY? show me HOW, then show me the methodology, then provide constructive measurement and progression along the way....or something like that!