View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Thai Boxing & Aikido: Thoughts & Feedback.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
That IS a good warrior story! Getting outside of your comfort zone, dealing with the suck factor and learning and growing! That is what it is all about!
Thanks Kevin, your right, its all part of the process.

Quote:
Michael Crowell wrote: View Post
I'm a bit surprised that they tossed you in with the wolves so quickly. I'd politely insist on working on conditioning, shadow boxing, bag work, and maybe some light sparring for a couple of weeks. If they aren't interested in easing you into their program, then I would not return to a place that may have little concern for your safety.
Well Michael, there are a couple of things I noticed which may shed some light onto the training situation.

First it appears that these guys have been training with each other for awhile. The key point being is that everyone just seemed to 'fit'.
Even with the David & Goliath scenario it appeared that there was already a balance there.

This was a concern of mine initially, as I didn't see anyone in my weight & height class. There were a couple of people at Aikido who expressed an interest in going, but due to certain reasons were not able to do so at the time.

None-the-less, I bit the bullet and took a dive in.

The instructor tried to include me in the regular training to keep the wheels moving, and had I been a bit younger and in the shape I used to be in, it would have been fine perhaps. However, in this case it would have been more advantageous to put me on bags, allowing me to adjust to the movements, etc., which really would benefit any beginner. [As well as gaining time to improve my physical stamina, etc.]

I don't foresee it being an issue with me taking this route in the future, and have mentioned it to him today as an option.

There is that bit again about the language.
Here I am, yet again, in a country where my language skills, though improving, are far from the best when it comes to quick & clear communication.

A fine example is my communication with my Aikido instructor. There is a tendency for him to move quickly through what is being said and thus miss some key points of what is being communicated...

In a sense, the Thai Boxing instructor seems to be a bit more open than the Aikido instructor. But he is younger and with youth some of the barriers that can come with age are not there yet.

A lot of this comes down to experience. [teaching, not training]

Though he is a silver medal champion here in Europe, from what I understand, in Thai Boxing or MMA. [cant recall the organizational name right off he has competed under.] There was the unknown factor which popped up... a 30+ year old who is far from being in prime condition, which requires a slightly different approach - which wouldn't hurt for any beginner to get really.

Peace,

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com