View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #34
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Aikido - Martial Arts - Fighting

Good Post George. I agree and train methodologies separately, because each one of them is tried and true and basically is designed to produce results for different things. We can debate all day long about the efficiency of aikido to deliver aiki skills. That is a good subject as many have discovered that frankly alot of folks are simply not training correctly to produce decent aiki skills.

Even if you produce those skills correctly it does not mean you can fight. That is a different set of skills and reguires a different type of training.

I mainly train BJJ these days for grappling, however, we have been getting a few of our guys ready for the All Army Combatives so been modifying training to build strategies to complement and exploit the rules of that particular venue. So, while it is a good base, even when we train for competition we modify our training regime.

Why? because we realize that what we study on a daily basis while a good base, does not make us a good fighter for that situation!

A few months ago I wrote a blog piece called "Don't bring a Knife to a Gunfight".

http://www.budo-warrior.com/?p=157&cpage=1#comment-99

It addresses this issue some I believe.