View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Aikido - Martial Arts - Fighting

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
. I actually do believe that ones Aikido should "work" at least within the stated context of the practice..... Aikido was meant to be less practical for fighting......
Aikido is a practice that stands on its own. It has its reson d'etre.......... Aikido folks do not need to let the folks from other martial arts set the criteria for how we value our art.... the mission set for the art by its Founder.

(Original blog post may be found here.)
Great post George and in general I agree with what you have to say (judo comment aside). I think the points above cut to the heart to the matter. As Kevin said i think the issue is that the aikido community doesn't have a cohesive idea of what Aikido is and what it's for. I've always said Aikido is fantastic - for certain things. But even then i'm a litte vauge on it myself. I think if there was a *stated* context alot of the debate goes away.

But it's only once someone has been in the art for many years they typically move away from the "aikido is awesome and would kick anyones ass" mentality to "aikido is awesome it's given me a new approach to conflict movement and my own self development". Certainly that was my experience

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"