Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi folks,

Request #4:

I just wanted to step in and ask that the subject matter in this thread be focused on the matter of aikido students at a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) aikido dojo who have a religious prohibition against touching women.

If you feel the need to move this subject to a broader context outside of aikido, please take it to the Open Discussions forum.

Thanks,

-- Jun
Jun,

Is the matter of potential aikido students who have such religious issues at a university club operating in a university facility governed by the full range of state and federal non-discriminatory practices laws relevant?

I certainly hope so, as that would give me an opportunity to share this little nugget: I am considering changing the name of my group to the NJIT Coed Aikido Club. The thought here is that such a name change or the simple inclusion (or for existing groups, a simple insertion) of a phrase regarding "our commitment to coed martial arts training without regard for race, creed, or national origin of participants" in the mission statement of a 501(c)3 organization ought to address the issue quite squarely and fairly.

Best,

FL

Last edited by Fred Little : 09-04-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Copyediting. It's a baseline skill more people should develop.