View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Alfonso
Re: "Hidden in Plain Sight" - ukemi as a training tool

Hi Joep, I'm going to make a flying leap maybe it makes sense, but I don't know what Ellis thinks, and I have the same questions that you have,, this is what I've thought up on my own

Quote:
- How would that work exactly?
Uke is always asked to attacked with a very constrained set of requirements. Typical descriptions include "sincere attack", "with intent" ,"with spirit", "intensity, not speed", "committed" and "centered" (if your'e lucky).
Nage starts handling Uke , and Uke is supposed to "continue the attack" . Typically it doesnt necessarily mean that after the initial imbalancing of Uke all bets are off and Uke can do whatever he wants. Usually it means, that Uke has continue to try and continue providing "Input" for Nage to deal with all the way.. as long as Uke continues inputting Nage continues putting Uke into awkward positions from which Uke needs to find a way to recover center and continue the attack. Without breaking contact. So you end up in frequently trying to meet Nage's forces and rearrange to negate them with the least amount of exertion ;-|

Quote:
- How much skill can one develop using only ukemi as a training tool?
Good question, how much skill can one develop without knowing what you're going about?

Quote:
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of this approach?
Could there be advantges to having a training situation where you work on Jin/Kokyu against Intelligent reistance? I mean in a gymn type of way , where you have machines you use to work out. What if you didnt know what you're after though..

Quote:
- What changes would you need to make to aikido practice to incorporate this approach?
If my aikido practice is geared towards Ki/Aiki then I need to understand that I'm not pantomiming fight routines only and that cardio is probably not what should be the main focus, nor flying as uke.. I mean Uke should be actively looking to get under Nage, not somersaulting around in high leaps.

Quote:
- If techniques were partly chosen for the quality of ukemi training the provide, does this mean aikido techniques are less effective than they could have been without focus on ukemi as a training tool?
Do these things have to be binary? O Sensei seems never to have given any importance to any "aikido techniques" effectivity seemed to rely on his power and skill combined. Does hand waving become a technique when you've got the world behind it so to speak? So maybe they were just nage/uke training tools

Alfonso Adriasola