Old 08-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Sagawa's Aiki

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
That is the point I'm making.
Actually, when I said it's "unique" I mean that it's a unique definition of aiki. Aikido people don't describe it like that and don't use it as Sagawa did. So I really meant it for those who wanted to consider "the meaning of aiki" again. But instead of another "What is Aiki?" thread, I thought I'd let Sagawa define it for us and let us see if we can reconcile our own understandings of aiki with his.

I've trained with both Ark Akuzawa now, and Dan Harden. Ark, of course, actually trained with Sagawa and Dan is involved in daito ryu. And what I felt from both those guys was a degree of power very unusual in aikido.

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote: View Post
The problem is that, the idea of neutralizing has morphed into this concept of "blending harmoniously", which although technically accurate, has taken on an entirely different meaning to neutralizing by (subtly) inputting power into someone, to negate their power.
Right. And I hope this thread can shake down some recognition of that fact and maybe help some aiki people look a little more beyond the surface. Sagawa's long association with Takeda and his own hyper-serious development of aiki are not things to be by-passed lightly.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com