View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Pete Rihaczek
United_States
Re: Traditional Chen Taiji Training in Los Angeles

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Can you give me an idea of what the classes are like and what is covered for a newb? I'm still struggling with the vocabulary but color me intrigued...
Hi Keith,

It looks like you're significantly closer to Hollywood than I am, so if you have any interest in internal training this would be a no-brainer. If you live in LA the "I don't have anybody to teach me this stuff" excuse is out the window.

Since Bosco just moved to LA everybody is a newb and we're starting from square one. The curriculum is the traditional Chen curriculum with the intention to change your body into one capable of driving motion with the dantien and developing a physical understanding of spiraling energy. So far the classes have involved standing, silk reeling, beginning forms and other odds and ends. Bosco is very open with answering questions and gives lots of hands-on corrections to what you're doing.

I've done BJJ and a number of other arts in the past, and quite honestly I can't remember anything being this difficult. Invariably a corrected posture seems to be that which makes your thighs burn and shake the most. However it's easy to see the end goal in the way Bosco moves and understand that it's a necessary part of the process to get the right body requirements burned in. The bottom line is it's tough, sweaty work, but if you stick with it you have the opportunity to gain an ability that is exceedingly rare in the martial arts that few have a chance to learn. Bosco has a lot of good information from Master Chen Bing and Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang and he is a capable teacher.

I've been involved in online discussions about internal strength for a long time without having had the opportunity for regular instruction from a solid lineage, and I can tell you firsthand that all the talking in the world pales in comparison to even a little bit of hands-on with somebody who wants you to learn correctly. I hope that answers your question, but you don't have to know anything at all to train there, everyone is just starting out. Bosco is very serious about giving dedicated people the goods though, so if you are serious about learning real internal skills you won't get a better opportunity.