View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #25
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Kokyu development for Aiki in Aikido

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
Frankly, Fredly, I think that the multiple factors are exactly why I wouldn't recommend Tenchinage as a very beginning case study. But since you bought the last beer and may inadvertantly buy the next one, I'll let it pass.

Best.

Mike
I'm not Mr. Little by any stretch of the imagination, but it happened to be a technique I was taught years ago as a case study in learning to do as little as possible with the hands and simply moving the entire body in a unified fashion -- a ki test of sorts. I remember the light bulb going on years ago on that technique on how powerful it could be while being done very, very softly. So it was a natural thing for me to explore a bit by reconfiguring some of my ways of doing it.

Teaching it (like I always teach it) was just my way of making sure I got a chance to practice so I could fiddle around a bit more in class especially with students who didn't know I was fiddling around. So it was one of those classes you teach to allow yourself room to explore and play. I had a few experienced people in the class and one of them asked me "what was that -- it felt different". I just smiled and went on with the lesson...

Exploration... I also started the class with lots of one-point testing from all sorts of angles. Including pushing on an outstretched arm bent at the elbow 90 degrees parallel to the ground...

Practice, practice, practice...