View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Scott Harrington
United_States
Do symbol Re: My take on a Mike Sigman seminar...

Mike Sigman Seminar Review

Overall rating: A+

Covered a lot (a lot!) of material. Had a decent lesson plan and ‘progressed' us thru the internal strength program so by
Sunday we had a decent idea of the hows and some of the whys. Will definitely recommend and go again. Great cross-platform teaching to any combat art.

Mike showed charisma, competence, humor and the ability to know when the brain was going to mush with overload.

Material: A+

Surprised by how many times he said, did, or showed something important that I have seen in classes, video, books and seminars -- the difference was this was just a two day class. The pieces became a whole.

Comprehension: B

Coming from a Japanese -styled background made some of the Chinese internal references a minor stumbling block for me. But I can learn and look up on the web. Perhaps a definition sheet? Either way, explained in a clear, concise way and showed 1) immediate applications and 2) stuff that needed to be trained into the body.

OC Aikikai did a great job, plenty of room, tangerines for a quick pickup, lunch and dinner nearby, and nice crowd. The group ranged from Aikido and Jiu jitsu people, of course the Chinese Arts, Swordsmen and Sword polisher (which I got to catch being thrown across the room) and even a Rolfer! Everyone worked well together.

Conclusion:

The big thing now is ‘Internal Strength' whether on the web, comments, or seminars (one coming near here next month). My take -- techniques are great like candy, but there are certain fundamental principles that make the arts (Aikido, Judo, And Chinese Internal & External) work BETTER. The trouble is to get BETTER, one must practice BETTER. And the only way to get to Madison Gardens is practice, practice, practice. BETTER practice.

In closing, I remember at the Aiki Expo with Kondo Sensei of the Daito-ryu. Over the classes I trained that he taught, I picked up 3 or 4 things that made me better. Noticeably, immediately better at doing a group of techniques. I was proud, I was a bad***, I could even show the partner I was training with how to do IT. Then it hit me, Kondo Sensei probably threw out 25 things and they all went over my head except those 3 or 4.

Mike Sigman probably threw out at least 25 things and I got 3 or 4. Those 3 or 4 will make me better, but how do I get the other 20 -- 21? BETTER learning on my part.

Scott Harrington
co-author of "Aiki Toolbox: Exploring the Magic of Aikido"