Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #18
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Looking For A Combative Oriented Aikido School in NY

Quote:
John Dutch wrote: View Post
Hi Marc, Kevin:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess I'm confused with the responses. That is my fault of course since my only exposure to aikido is through reading the book "Angry White Pajamas." From reading, it seemed like a very direct and hard form of aikido that was worthy of the Tokyo riot police. I figured this would be a great martial art to integrate into my current training.

By this I mean in close quarters, I could add some of the throwing and locks. I wanted to originally study judo, but am not looking forward to the high injury rates I've heard about, and a friend of mine has also been cajoling me to study BJJ as well with him (he's a purple belt)...I am also giving this some thought as well. The only reason I haven't is because I'm concerned about multiple opponent scenarios. I really don't want to be caught on the ground (if I can help it), and get kicked in the head by another person.

My primary concern is studying aikido with a teacher where the class is training in a very alive manner (pretty much going full tilt). It seemed like this is what was going on in that book.
Thanks for the additional info. Well as Marc said "opinions are like.....everyone has one, myself included."

This is a really difficult conversation to have over the internet as their are many, many factors that need to be sorted out and alot of this needs to occur in a kinesthetic conversation vice electrons.

Here is what you really need to do if you ask me: (my opinion)

When you say "Combatives" it means one thing to me...that is learning how to fight in a given situation or situations. It implies certain "rules of engagement" or tactics such as what might apply to Police or Military. This is one area of study and requires a very specific set of training guidelines, rules, methdology, education...under experienced and qualified intstructors that understand military and law enforcement environments.

For example I am a Military Combatives Instructor, but I would not teach Law Enforcement as I am not qualified nor do I understand the environment that They work under. The things that I can do in the military..some apply so don't. Yeah, there is a common core that is the same, principles are the same, but it is the rules of engagement and application of tactics that matter most in training so I would not be the right guy to train them in "Law Enforcement Combatives".

Neither would the local Krav Maga guy either IMO.

Then there is SELF DEFENSE. Again another area that requires a set of assumptions and parameters that need to be trained. As most situation involve a "predator" and "prey", and involve some sort of ambush type scenario, then training in this area is specific in nature to develop a set of default and spontaneous responses and instincts to defend yourself.

Again Self Defense would also be subject to the same principles, and many of the things you learn in BJJ, Krav Maga, and Aikido are applicable, but training in those arts alone are not "self defense" and frankly I have not found too many schools or places, or instructors that really understand the self defense environment and simply teach whatever waza they learned over the years and call it "self defense". There is alot of BS out there being passed off as Self Defense.

Then there are Sport based Arts such as Judo and BJJ. Both excellent arts. Lots of fun and you learn some very good things in them. I highly recommend them as base arts as you learn many, many good things. I am a Mid Level Purple Belt in BJJ and a card carrying Judoka that competes.

Principles are the same as above in MIlitary and Self Defense, in fact BJJ has been a big help in making me proficient in teaching Military Combatives and Self Defense. However, These Sport Based arts also have a paradigm of rules that you have to be aware of when training, and they are not fighting, combatives, or self defense either.

Then there is the So-Called Internal Arts and Koryu (old style arts) such as Aikido, Diato Ryu and others. (Yes, I understand that Aikido is not Koryu, but it is also not Judo or BJJ). These arts are based on classical systems of study and there are many good reasons to study these arts. I won't go into it as there is a different opinion on these arts depending on your perspective and philosophy. (read the multitude of post we have here on aikiweb).

The thing with Aikido though is this, IMO, there are some very good reasons to study it. Books and literature I think tend to paint a romantic picture of the world in many cases.

Just ask yourself "Why do I want to study aikido?". Is it simply because of self defense? Is it because it seems cool? is it because you like the idea of being a modern day samurai warrior? The concept of Budo attracts you? You think it will help you with multiple opponents? You like the concept that is espoused by many that it is a defensive art that resolves conflict without injury?

I don't believe anyone here can say what it will or will not do for you. I personally think it is a lousy system for teaching self defense, combatives, and I don't buy into the "defensive art that teaches you how to resolve conflict without injury" logic. I personally think this are bullshit reasons for studying aikido and your time and money would be spent better elsewhere.

I think that the Tokyo Riot Police probably don't study the aikido that we study in the US or that even others study in Japan. Why would you want to spend your time studying Japanese Techniques, Tactics, and Procedures unless you are a Tokyo Police Officer. Think about it, how you enforce laws and arrest people in the Bronx might be different than in a small mid west town. Alot of culture and environmental issues have to be addressed in tactics training.

However, AIkido, like BJJ for me, might be a good base art for the Tokyo police.

Aliveness, that is a subject that comes up alot, and one of my favorites! I agree that training with Aliveness is very important.

Now, what do you mean by Aliveness?

Aliveness and how you train it depends on your training objectives.

If I am training a Soldier in Combatives, Aliveness means one thing.

If I am training a civilian in an Aikido dojo to fine tune his arm/shoulder proprioception and how to relax and use lower body more than upper body...well the aliveness we use to train this might be different.

In my aikido, I have particular goals that I am trying to train. I am trying to learn Aiki. that is how to reduce feedback and proprioception, how to use ground paths, distribute my weight, affect my uke's weight and balance etc. This requires that I train in a certain way. I use aliveness, but it is not the same aliveness I would use in Combatives or BJJ. You can't train that way and learn Aiki.

So, I think that you have to understand what it is that you want to train. I think you have to break it down into categories and methodologies and stay true to those methodologies.

Sure it is fun to find a dojo that attacks hard, fast and realistic and has a certain amount of struggle, agressiveness, and energy. I LOVE to train that way and it is necessary sometimes.

However, if that is all you are looking for out of AIkido, I wouldn't waste my time with AIkido and go with a BJJ school or something. You will have more fun, learn alot, and get competent pretty quickly.

However, if you want to learn Aiki, then I think what Marc and I are saying is find a good school that concentrates on developing those skills, yet still has an eye on sound application of the principles and can translate them to some understanding of application...but don't confuse that understanding of application with reality!

Long winded and probably not too conherent, but I hope this perspective might be helpful to you in someway.

Like Marc said, everyone has an opinion.

BTW, I have heard good things about Howard Popkin's Dojo someone recommended. That might be a good place for you to check out.