View Single Post
Old 07-16-2002, 02:41 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: How people started club/dojo?

Hi Rachel!

Good luck on your project. The way I have heard it raising a kid (this I know about) is actually easy compared to building an aikido dojo from scratch (this I have never done though).

If done in the right way I think it could be a good thing to start by borrowing or renting space in an allready existing judo og jiu-juitsu dojo. That way you will be able to build a group of dedicated students that can help out before you put yourself into a lot of debt. Renting a room is one thing, but paying for mats and creating locker-room facilities, showers etc. is VERY expencive.

Another benefit is that you will get a good idea about what you would like your own dojo to be like.

Also remember that if you are to do this alone, then it will be very hard for you and your familiy. Find someone else who will burn just as much for the idear and who has the time and energy to help you do all the practical things. It is a huge task to create a dojo and you should focus on being the instructor rather than on doing all the tedious tasks of dayly maintenance, managing members files, applying for permits etc etc.

Anyway - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope you will succede.

Hope this helps.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration