View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
"Aikidude"
IP Hash: 6c33c92b
Anonymous User
Re: Preventing a dojo coup

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
That sounds like a very crappy training environment, I would contact the students who left a year previous find out where they went and follow them.
Definitely has been a challenge to be sure, I pretty much view my lessons now as an opportunity to watch my ego... so instead of Aikido Im getting a Zen lesson - not so bad.

I ran into one of the former students not long ago and it appears they have dropped Aikido altogether [perhaps they extracted the parts they deemed beneficial] but are doing a completely different art. [basically sounds like they are experimenting and its more of a close friend group vs. training in general.]

On a positive note, I have tried to plant some positive ideas for solutions to the current situation, and apparently its paying off somewhat, as a couple of the senior students have been more proactive in their role at the dojo and adjusted the training to better reflect the current needs of the students training there.

Quote:
Anthony Stebbins wrote: View Post
That's too bad you're going through this. Proper etiquette in these matters (as well as any other) would be to advise you he will either be late, or not able to attend.
Ill have to be honest with you, this is really one of my biggest pet peeves as it shows a total disinterest in the whole project and makes me wonder why hes doing it besides the money. [Again, who knows what he may be going through in his personal life, as he doesnt seem to be malevolent in intent]

The other bit is that out of the whole dojo there really is only about 3 of us who show up in time to actually get ready to start when the class is supposed to commence. [it cant be a timing issue or class could easily be moved up another half hour.]

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
At our dojo there are plenty of dans and highly ranked students where there really isn't this issue. I don't know much of your situation or about ou dojo beyond what you've wrote, but entrusting a dan or highly ranked student with a key and permission to teach in his absence might help the dojo grow and stay cohesive.

Unless your sensei is lacking as a teacher or lacking in credentials I'd try to work it out. Aikido schools with competent instructors can die out from lack of students.
Yes, we totally lack dan grades. We have one dan grade with a couple of others on the edge of it. So this greatly limits the aspect of fluidity in techniques that a higher dan would highlight.

Instead we tend to have varying opinions of what is "the" way to do something, vs. acknowledging that all aspects have merit depending on the situation. This one bit has led to more confusion amongst the beginners than anything else I have seen.

As for me Im learning to role with it, and take the various instructions as another possibility.

Quote:
Maggie Schill wrote: View Post
I've also heard of a lot of unqualified sensei opening schools just to rake in some cash-- black belt factories. I definitely find some where else if you think your sensie's absence is money motivated in anyway.
Well I will say that it does bother a couple of the students they are paying and he doesnt show up... a bit more openness would help.
If its as I suspect it could be hes trying to juggle to many different projects and/or is burned out with the dojo, and cannot afford to loose the income he gets from the monthly fees. [who knows]

All in all, I am taking things "step by step", who knows how much longer I will/will not train there, but there has been a lot I have learned, beyond techniques, due to the situation, which has helped on a deeper spiritual level than if things were just 'smooth'.

But there is a time and place for everything, wouldnt mind some smooth Aikido from time to time. lol

Thanks for the replies.

Again, not more I can add to clarify things without blowing what anonymity there may still be in this thread.