View Single Post
Old 09-02-2000, 05:34 PM   #13
Tim Haffner
Dojo: Aikido School of Miami Beach
Ki Symbol Aiki Taihojutsu

Let me qualify my statements by saying that I am a certified Defensive Tacticts Instructor witht the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. I can attest that the Basic Recruit training curriculum in our state gathers many techniques from Aikido. In fact, I can easily translate all of the transporters and takedowns into Aikido technique. To name a few:
arm bar is Ikkyo-ude osae
bent wrist or gooseneck wrist is Nikyo or kote mawashi
The State call Sankyo the "elbow up inward turned wrist transporter" in Aikido we call it kote hineri.
They also have the outturned wrist or kotegaeshi as a takedown and one of their knife defenses is our Rokkyo or ude hishigi.
The way they are presented in the academy is obviously different than the way one would learn them in the dojo. I don't think recruits develop confidence or proficiency in these techniques in 80 hours of training and highly recommend Aikido for all law enforcement personnel, but then again I am biased for my love of this art and O'sensei's message.

No matter what you choose to do,do not attempt to use any choking techniques in the field. Very few States authorize the Lateral Vascular Restraint technique and even in that case, you can only use the one that you learned from a Law Enforcement trainer.

More importantly, Aikido training gives law enforcement officers mental calmenss and presence of mind to deal with their daily tasks. I think Ledyard sensei explained this well in regard to violent confrontations. I would submit that this state of mind is also pertinent to dealing with verbal confrontations and general stresses inherent to the work. Breathing exercises and mental calming techniques are now suggested in basic recruit academies, as well as advanced law enforcement course, but they are part and parcel of Aikido training. A definite plus!

If nothing else, the ukemi waza of Aikido are applicable to the street from day one of your training. If you plan on chasing bad guys, you'd better be prepared to fall once in a while. The extra weight on you hips, and/or ankle might suprise you.

I hope this helped you in your decision making process, and good luck with whatever you do.

Tim Haffner