View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #516
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Rob,

Given the insight to aiki you have learned from Dan, can you teach aiki using the aiki taiso exercises such as, but not limited to, these (http://members.tripod.com/~jakarta_aikikai/aiki.html)
These are good examples of what I would currently consider the cart before the horse.

I practiced all of those things and taught all of those things for years. I wouldn't try to teach aiki using those things alone (any more). The phrase "the slow boat to China" comes to mind (but you have to extend the analogy so that the boat's compase is broken and it's pretty cloudy for the trip).

I suppose I could build people up to have a decent structure and manifest intent in a methodical approach such that they could then practice moving with aiki while doing all of these things listed on that web page. The rowing would be done significantly differently - but I don't want to go into it since that is a really good example of "cart before the horse" type topic. In my opinion, you'd be better off practicing shikou. Dan did a writeup on that on aikiweb I believe.

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 08-04-2009 at 11:49 AM.