View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #169
Guilty Spark

United_States
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that people's positions on this topic depend largely on whether they are sympathetic to the particular religions in question or even religious belief in general?
Very much so. I think to a lesser extent being religious in general and more having an issue with certain religions rules which they take issue with.

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
The issue boils down to this: what harm does it do to allow a woman to practice only with other women, provided there are enough female students in the dojo willing/able to accomodate?
Over all harm? Probably not much. In larger classes a woman asking to train with women only probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. In smaller classes more so.

For myself and some others it seems that segregation based on religion offends the spirit of the dojo, aikido and the uke.

Here is one possible harm though. Lawsuits. What happens when I, a female show up at your dojo and after 3 days I urn to you and say I will only train with women. If another man touches me during training I will go to the police and accuse them and the school of sexual harassment. If you ask me to leave I will sue you for discrimination because I'm female.

Lets say my parents were racist to the extreme. I grew up in the environment and being racist is as spiritual to me as any religion. I turn to you and say I'll only train with white students, I won't train with any coloured students. It's my preference and how I was brought up. We have a lot of students in the class, why can't you accommodate me and only let me train with white students?

Would anyone here be so quick to accommodate me then?

Quote:
Alejandro Villanueva wrote: View Post
I've been training in a dojo in Indonesia where men and women trained in different days. So what? Did I miss something by not practising with the women? Not really.
If I had a chance to train with someone like Mary, Janet , Ruth or other females from this forum and I skipped the chance on purpose I would be ashamed of myself as an Aikido student. Did I miss something by not practicing with them? Very much so.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend