View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #140
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

This is a very touchy subject. My dojo only has a few females (5 and I am the only one that trains regularly) so training with a female could be minimized usually. However, 3 out of 4 classes this week involved 3 students. That meant 2 males and me being the one female. Now, when there are 3 students in my dojo, one person is in the middle and the other 2 take turns being uke. Then you switch.

Now, this allows one person to rest for a tiny bit. IF you were to say "Hey Ashley, sorry but you aren't going to be able to work with XYZ." Then the other poor uke is the only that can work with myself and XYZ, which means they will not be able to rest at all. This may not be a big deal, but when it is 108 degrees and you are still doing an intense class, then a tiny break every now and then is good. Sure, the instructor for that class could work with a student to even the numbers out, but usually our sempais and sensei prefer to watch so they can help.

Having said this, I am an advocate of allowing all to train if they want and I believe that a reasonable attempt to accomodate a student should be made. The training of the other students shouldn't be compromised in this process either. The question is, does this cross the line for this particular dojo. Only this anonymous person knows the proportion of male/female ratio as well as the normal number of students on a daily basis.

On another note (as another female brought this up): I personally prefer to train with men and I will partner up with a man faster then I would a female. Chances are that I will be attacked by a man more then I would a female. Since most... no... all of the men there are stronger then me, then I know I have to get my technique right. I personally would be a little bumbed if a guy refused to work with me, but at the same time, though I amy not understand, I would have to respect his religious beliefs. I would like to think that several other aikidoka would feel the same way.

This person also didn't mention if they were an instructor or a student. I hope they aren't the one to have to make this difficult decision.

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 08-02-2009 at 03:28 PM.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.