View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
thisisnotreal

Re: the changed body

Hi Kevin,
Nice post. Thanks for taking the time.
Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
I see many parallels between what I have learned from these gentleman. Breathing, building the suit, core, strength of the core etc.

The more I do, the stronger, more connected I am becoming. Mike Sigman tried to get me to conceptualize and feel the "suit" as he calls it. I could not 18 months ago. I am starting to kinda get what he is saying now....a little....felt the stretch through my fingers last week as I did a couple of asana and connected it with my breathing.
right on.
Can you say anything about connecting with the breath? Certainly has to do with keeping a baseline of intraabdominal pressure, doesn't it? Kind of like the valsalva maneuver, but with the epiglottis open? (I may be talking BS) .. but that is what I found.

Quote:

Well my backpain is almost non exsistent. The Numbness in my leg/foot from Sciatica is gone. I am gaining feeling back in my right arm from damaged C5/6/7. so that is good.
Definitely. There is some interesting cervical stuff in the Ming Method book. …shows how to decompress the discs .. to make some ‘room' and to get them rehydrating. It may or may not be safe to do for someone with damage to do (i don't know) so be careful if you check it out. Have you seen it?

Quote:

BJJ is much more measurable and quantifiable..although many would say this is external...I don't care...I am able to move better, with more efficiency and I am beating more guys and holding my own more than I was a couple of months ago.
I was wondering about the transition to the internal. Is it binary/boolean or transitional shades of grey. Do you learn to trust the one above the other and slowly moving all the eggs over to the other basket? If so; then what you say is normal. I can't imagine the learning process to the IS can be such a quick transition. My opinion only..

Quote:
What is the secret?

I think just doing something. Doesn't matter to me if it is Mike Sigman's, Arks, or even a really good Yoga practice.

You can't afford to just sit back, think about it, and do nothing for fear of doing the wrong thing. I wasted alot of time over the past 2 years doing this. Jump in and start breathing and stretching and moving your body in some way. There is enough out there on You tube and in Yoga to start doing something.
Nice. I like that. I am of the same mind. But I know that left alone; it is impossible I'm doing it right, and definitely picking up habits. Or even injuring myself. Conversely there seems to be some self-corrective self-guiding aspects to the feel of it that…kind of make you ‘come back to first principles'. I wonder about the dangers of this work…stagnant ki and all that.
dunno.

Quote:
Anyway...it is fun, and I like how I am feeling in my body. I like the fact that I really feel I am doing a practice that will allow me to train as I progress from middle age to old age and maybe I won't be hobbling around .. with a cane and a blown out back.
I hear you. This is also is my hope.
The health aspects of this are amazing and encouraging. Self-aligning and energizing work. My opinion; we should all know about these types of self-maintaining health aspects of it. I have a theory that says life comes with a certain amount of pain. We are going to feel the pain regardless. Either it is due to falling apart as we age, or the pain will be felt while building up the body so as not to fall apart. I feel this stuff shows a way to organize and build the body. Learning the way we are meant to move and ‘make' and ‘bear' power. It would help to make people sensitive to their postural errors, soft-tissue problems, inflexibility issues …and gives a method and the tools to fix ‘em. On the negative side: The problem is it this all seems to fn hurt and is a shit pile of work. On the positive side it is free, shows you how to self-fix as you age, enabling you to do it (largely) without drugs and surgery, as is becoming the ‘normal way to get old' (in the west?). Was daydreaming of opening a health clinic for this stuff; then I remembered I don't know anything ... and then about the general laziness of people (i.e. people won't stick with it). They say in physiotherapy circles that even the patients with the most to gain out of the ‘corrective' exercises don't do ‘em. 'cause it's hard.
just some thoughts. Thanks again for yours, Kevin.
I gots to do me some work now. …
Josh