View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Knees and Shoulders - avoiding damage

Mary wrote:

Quote:
Hmm. Well, I'm sure that somewhere there are dojos that match these two descriptions, but they seem like extremes to me -- the sort of thing that's not often encountered in real life. I don't have anywhere near the experience with different dojos as some here, but I've been to a few seminars in the region, and we have friendly co-trainings with other dojos in our area, and none of them fit into your two types. Note, though, that you've described the two forms in terms of their purpose/intention rather than their effect. I don't know of a sensei who says (or believes) "I want to entertain as many as possible". In any event, although each dojo has its own feel and its way of doing things, the goal and the outcome of training -- whether to be "entertained" or to "achieve harmony" or whatever -- still tends to come down to the individual.
I agree with Mary here, I don't think it is intentional or the goal...that is to "entertain" people.

I think most folks that run dojos or programs have some degree of frustration with the level of committment they put into their dojo vice and what the expect there students to do to improve...and there students simply do not put in the time or effort for whatever reason.

I suppose it is an over generalization on my part to say "many simply want to be entertained." I really don't think they mean it literally...but I think it is rare that you find folks that:

1. Understand the level of committment and training that is necessary to be good.

2. Are actually willing to do what they need to do in order to get better.

Many are simply satisfied with showing up to the dojo and doing whatever training is on the agenda for the night and then go home until the next class.

This is what I mean by "martial entertainment".

At some level, running a dojo, you simply have to accept that the pareto principle is alive and well and that 80% of the folks you have in your dojo will fall into this category.

That is not the same thing as saying that the sensei intentionally does this, there just simply is not enough hours in the day, or deep enough pockets to be 100% accountable and exclusionary in our practices. That is simply the reality of it.