View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
lbb
United_States
Re: Knees and Shoulders - avoiding damage

Quote:
Dusko Bojic wrote: View Post
After all your input I can "see" that there are at least 2 forms of Aikido trained these days.
The one is to entertain as many as possible where students tend to achieve "perfection" as fast as possible (could be Ego based)
and,
there is the Aikido which is focused in achieving harmony within and without through disciplined technical practise, achieving mental peace, developing patience and focusing on extending Ki into ALL aspects of our life.
Hmm. Well, I'm sure that somewhere there are dojos that match these two descriptions, but they seem like extremes to me -- the sort of thing that's not often encountered in real life. I don't have anywhere near the experience with different dojos as some here, but I've been to a few seminars in the region, and we have friendly co-trainings with other dojos in our area, and none of them fit into your two types. Note, though, that you've described the two forms in terms of their purpose/intention rather than their effect. I don't know of a sensei who says (or believes) "I want to entertain as many as possible". In any event, although each dojo has its own feel and its way of doing things, the goal and the outcome of training -- whether to be "entertained" or to "achieve harmony" or whatever -- still tends to come down to the individual.

Quote:
Dusko Bojic wrote: View Post
So, it is all about finding the right Master, meaning which is right for me at this time of my life.
Yeah, I guess, sort of. It's about finding a sensei and dojo that will give you what you need -- which may be very, very different from what you are convinced you need right now. Being open to that possibility is important. Patience is also important -- as I said in my earlier post, you need to accept that your average day of training is going to be sweat and work and nothing particularly cosmic going on. Just go visit your local dojo, watch a class, and don't be put off if you don't see anything that looks particularly amazing going on. If you don't see anything obviously wrong, then sign up and give it a try. Train patiently and don't burden your training experience with too many specific expectations -- just experience what it is, rather than what you think it should be, and give it some time. If it doesn't seem worthwhile after a few months, then maybe you should consider another pursuit.