View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: Knees and Shoulders - avoiding damage

Janet Rosen wrote:

Quote:
To the original poster: injuries happen in ALL physical activities, and accidents happen in all of life. Many aikido injuries are due to improper attention to proper posture, body use and safe body mechanics.
Turning 44 a couple of weeks ago and being told by my doctor after reviewing my cervical MRI that "it appears you have been in a car accident or something, your neck has alot of damage". You need to take care of your spine. I have thought alot about what my future holds for me. FWIW, I have never been in a car accident, but have recieved lots of repetitive trauma from ukemi and from 15 years as a pole vaulter.

In hindsight, I think the OP brings up some very, very good concerns. I have been re-evaluating much of my training and I am currently involved in obtaining my Certified Personal Training Credential through ACSM.

Looking at various modalities of training from Yoga, BJJ, Judo, and Aikido...and seeing the injuries that occur in middle aged males that take up martial arts I have come to the conclusion that we move folks too fast sometimes before they are properly conditioned.

Unfortunately, most people come to a dojo and want to learn a martial art. Most of them I see come in are in very poor condition to even really begin training rigorously. They either get injured or they quit after a few months due to the frustration of not getting any better.

I think we'd do them a better favor by taking it very slowly, educating them on posture, proper movement, giving them exercises and conditioning that will allow them to improve their balance, posture, and core strength, weight loss, and nutrition...before we ever even let them do the first "martial technique".

Alas, if we did that, then we'd be broke and have no students I am betting!

So, what we do instead is provide "martial entertainment" for them. Some of them stay and "survive" the rest of them decide it is not or them, or get injured and move on.

I think what would really be Ideal is if we took the "Mr Myagi" approach and did the whole "wax on/wax off" thing until they were ready and prepared to train.

I was one of the fortunate ones I think. I have always been athletic and came to the martial arts and "survived". then again, I am now finding out after almost 20 years of training that I have done some very stupid things in the name of "hard training" that are now catching up with me.

I am also, just now, after close to 20 years...learning what it really means to be in shape, conditioned, flexible, and "martial".

It is much different that what I have thought it was in the past.

I agree with Janet's assessment. I believe most injuries occur because of the reasons she states.

In addition, Mary also is correct in her assessment!

Mary wrote:

Quote:
If you ski, or practice aikido, or any of these activities, and you manage to stay injury-free, eventually you will develop decent conditioning...but it's not the safest or most effective way to get there
yeah, it is how I did things, and I am hoping that for the people I am responsible for in the future, that we don't train in this "trial and survive" methodolgy!